The
Renaissance
Society

at The University of Chicago
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS AN ARCHIVE SITE
Visit our new site for all current information.
 

Prairie School Furniture

April 25 – May 27, 1972

 
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Baluster 1894
Terracotta
From the Robert W. Roloson houses, 3213-3218 Calumet Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of the Antiquarian Society
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Pair of Tiles 1895
terracotta
From the Francis Apartments, 4304 Forrestville Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of Tim Samuelson, Chicago
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Ventilator Grille 1895
Cast iron
From the Francis Apartments, 4304 Forrestville Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of the Antiquarian Society through the Mrs. Robert Hixon Glore Fund
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Urn 1899
Copper
From the Edward C. Waller house (remodelled by Wright) Auvergne Place, River Forest, Illinois
Courtesy of Marilyn and Wilbert Hasbrouck, Palos Park, Illinois
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Dining Table 1902
Oak
From the William G. Fricke house, 540 Fair Oaks Avenue, Oak Park, Illinois
Courtesy of lent anonymously
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Window, "Tree of Life" motif 1904
Leaded glass
From the Darwin D. Martin house, 125 Jewett Parkway, Buffalo, New York (demolished)
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mrs. Philip K. Wrigley, through the Antiquarian Society
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Library Table 1908
Oak
From the Ray W. Evans house, 9914 Longwod Drive, Chicago
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Fahrenwald
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Arm Chair 1908
Oak
From the Ray W. Evans house, 9914 Longwod Drive, Chicago
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Fahrenwald
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Window 1908
Leaded glass
From the Ray W. Evans house, 9914 Longwod Drive, Chicago
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mr. and Mrs. F. M. Fahrenwald
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Side Chair 1909
Oak
From the dining room suite designed for the Frederick C. Robie house, 5757 S. Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of The University of Chicago, Adlai Stevenson Institute, courtesy of The Chicago School of Architecture Founation, Glessner House, Chicago
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Side Chair 1904
Oak
From the Frederick C. Robie house, 5757 S. Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of the University of Chicago, Adlai Stevenson Institute
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Side Chair 1908
Oak
From the Avery Conley house, 300 Scottswood Road, Riverside, Illinois
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Lowenthal

The smaller scale of this piece suggests it was, perhaps, a child's chair.
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Two Windows 1912
Leaded glass
From the Avery Conley playhouse, 350 Fairbanks Road, Riverside, Illinois
Courtesy of the B. C. Holland Gallery, Chicago
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Window 1912
Leaded glass
from the Avery Conley playhouse, 350 Fairbanks Road, Riverside, Illinois
Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Walter A. Netsch, Chicago
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Window 1912
Leaded glass
From the Avery Conley playhouse, 350 Fairbanks Road, Riverside, Illinois
Courtesy of Mr. John Vinci
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Pair of Floor Lamps
Oak and, originally, probably oiled paper, now fiberglass covered with silk
From the sherman M. Booth house, Ravine Bluffs, 265 Sylvan Road, GLencoe, Illinois
Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Ted Bloch, Glencoe, Illinois
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Wall Lantern 1912
Hardwood
From the Sherman M. Booth house, Ravine Bluffs, 265 Sylvan Road, GLencoe, Illinois
Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Jay Abler, Libertyville, Illinois
 
Frank Lloyd Wright
Pair of Candlesticks 1913
Bronze
Probably from the Harry S. Adams house, 710 Augusta Street, Oak Park, Illinois
Courtesy of Mr. Tim Samuelson
 
George W. Maher
Side Chair 1897
Mahogany
From the John Farson house, 217 Home Avenue, Oak Park, Illinois
Courtesy of the Park District of Oak Park, Oak Park, Illinois
 
George W. Maher
Section of a Portiere 1910
"Thistle" motif, velvet with thistle design applied in satin damask held in place with machine embroidery
From the James A. Patten house, Ridge Avenue, Evanston. Illinois (demolished)
Courtesy of The St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis, Missouri
 
George W. Maher
Side Chair 1909
Oak
From the Earnest J. Magerstadt house, 4930 South Greenwood Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of Mrs. Martha Field
 
George W. Maher
Drafting table
From George W. Maher's own home, 424 Warwick Road, Kenilworth, Illinois
Courtesy of Miss Violet Wyld, courtesy of The Chicago School of Architecture Foundation, Glessner House, Chicago
 
George W. Maher
Table lamp
Bronze
Courtesy of The Chicago School of Architecture Foundation, Glessner House, Chicago
 
George Grant Elmslie
Side Chair 1909
Oak
From the Harold C. Bradley house, Madison, Wisconsin
Courtesy of Alpha of Wisconsin, Sigma Phi, Madison, Wisconsin
 
George Grant Elmslie
Door plate 1909
Bronze
From the Harold C. Bradley house, Madison, Wisconsin
Courtesy of Alpha of Wisconsin, Sigma Phi, Madison, Wisconsin
 
George Grant Elmslie
Tall clock 1912
Mahogany, satinwood and brass
From the Henry B. Babson house, Riverside, Illinois (demolished)
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mrs. Theodore Tieken
 
George Grant Elmslie
Pair of light fixtures 1912
Painted brass
From the Henry B. Babson house, Riverside, Illinois (demolished)
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Quigg E. Lewis
 
George Grant Elmslie
Pair of andirons 1912
Bronze
From the Henry B. Babson house, Riverside, Illinois (demolished)
Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, gift of Mrs. George A. Harvey
 
George Grant Elmslie
Window 1912
Leaded glass
From the Henry B. Babson house, Riverside, Illinois (demolished)
Courtesy of Mr. Larry Kenny, Chicago
 
George Grant Elmslie
Wicket 1917
Bronze
From the First National Bank, Adams, Minnesota
Courtesy of Marilyn and Wilbert Hasbrouck, Palos Park, Illinois
 
Louis H. Sullivan
Door plate 1888
Courtesy of Marilyn and Wilbert Hasbrouck, Palos Park, Illinois
 
Louis H. Sullivan
Door plate 1892
Cast iron
From the Union Trust Building, St. Louis, Missouri
 
Louis H. Sullivan
Door plate 1891
Cast iron
From the Wainwright Building, St. Louis, Missouri
Courtesy of Mr. Herbert Kessler, Chicago
 
Louis H. Sullivan
Door plate 1894
Cast iron
From the Guaranty Building, St. Louis, Missouri
Courtesy of Marilyn and Wilbert Hasbrouck, Palos Park, Illinois
 
Walter Burly Griffin
Window 1908
Wood and glass
From the J. Benjamin Moulton house, 1328 Sherwin Avenue, Chicago
Courtesy of Mr. Tim Samuelson

Although Griffin is of great importance, he is represented here by only one piece since much of his furniture was designed to be built into the house.
 
Gustav Stickley
Side Chair 1905
Oak
Courtesy of Lent anonymously

This piece is illustrated in the Craftsman magazine, 1905.

A prominent furniture manufacturer and editor of the influential Craftsman magazine, Stickley is included here because of his influence in encouraging taste in America for the English Arts and Crafts Movement. Characteristically more blocky and angular, Stickley's furniture designs were of some influence on Prairie School architects.
 

   
   
The Renaissance Society
is a contemporary art
museum free and
open to the public
Sun  Sep 15, 2019