Schweikher and Elting, Architects
March 20 – April 14, 1949
Winston Elting, born in Winnetka, Illinois, in 1907, was graduated from Hotchkiss School and then from Princeton in 1929. He studied in the Ecole des Beaux Arts, Paris, from 1929 to 1932. Before becoming associated with Schweikher in 1940, he worked with several important Chicago architectural firms as draftsmen and designer and also practiced independently. He was in service with the Navy in the South Pacific from 1942 to 1945, and has traveled extensively abroad at various times between 1925 and 1938.
Paul Schweikher was born in Denver, Colorado, in 1903 of German and Welsh parentage. He attended the University of Colorado from 1921 to 1922 after preparation in the Denver schools and with private instruction particularly in music and painting. Coming to Chicago in 1922, he studied at the Art Institute of Chicago, the Illinois Institute of Technology, and the Chicago Atelier while working as a bank employee and later as a draftsman. He attended the School of Fine Arts at Yale from 1927 to 1929, winning the Matcham Fellowship on graduation. After a year's European travel and study, he returned to Chicago to work as draftsman and designer until 1934 when he began independent practice.
Associated first with Theodore Lamb, 1935 to 1942, Schweikher was also associated with Elting from 1940 to 1942. After the interruption of Navy service, ending in 1945, this latter association was resumed with the establishment of the firm of Schweikher and Elting. Prior to the War, Schweikher broadened his experience by traveling in Mexico and Central America, and also Japan where he made a special study of domestic architecture.
The Firm- Schweikher and Elting:
The responsibility for design is chiefly Schweikher's while Elting is principally concerned with administration and building supervision.
The exhibition illustrates some of the work done during the early association of Schweikher with Lamb and Elting, but consists principally of current projects in Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New York, North Carolina and Tennessee.
Much of the firm's work has received the distinction of publication in professional periodicals both here and in England, France, Italy, and South America. In the last connection, the entire leave of the Argentinian publication, "Nuestra Arquitactura" (April, 1947) was devoted to its work.