Paintings in Oil and Watercolor by a Group of Milwaukee Artists
November 07 – December 04, 1943
Release for Sunday November 14, 1943
The Renaissance Society of the University of Chicago presents as its opening exhibition Painting in Oil and Water Color by a Group of Milwaukee Artists. The exhibition will be open to the public November 7 to December 4.
Goodspeed Hall, Room 108 1010 East 59th Street
This is the first comprehensive exhibition of Milwaukee art ever to have been held in Chicago. It was unusually well received on the opening day November 7, by a large and representative Chicago art audience who came despite rain and gas rationing. Mrs. Robert Mulliken, the Social Chairman designed the tea table and had as her assistants Mrs. Dallas Phemister, Mrs. Fay-Cooper Cole and Mrs. George Shambaugh, Jr. Others attending the opening were Mrs. John U. Nef, who, with Mr. Nef, is the owner of an outstanding collection of French paintings; Mr. Frederick Sweet, Assistant Curator of Painting and Sculpture of the Art Institute of Chicago, and Mrs. Sweet; and Mr. Cecil Smith who has recently been appointed Chairman of the Music Department of the University. Among the Chicago artists attending were Gertrude Ambercrombie, Gustaf Dalstrom. Francis Foy, Fred Biesel, Ethel Crouch Brown, Beatrice Levy and Laura Van Pappelendam.
The galleries of the Renaissance Society are located in the Department of Art of the University, of which Mr. Ulrich Middeldorf is Chairman. The exhibition includes the works of thirty artists and was assembled by the Society with the help of Miss Charlotte Partridge who offered the facilities of the Layton Art Gallery for the collection of pictures.